Before you begin
- These steps are only necessary if you record an editorial decision other than 'Accept Submission' or 'Reject Submission' (e.g. Revisions Required or Resubmit for Review).
- If you are not already on the Review screen, navigate to the Journal Home screen, select 'Manage All Submissions' then select 'In Review.' (Don't see this option? Learn more about permissions.) Finally, select the title of the manuscript you'd like to work with.
- Ensure that you are on the '2. Review' page for the manuscript you are working on, by selecting the 2. Review link near the top of the page.
- Scroll to the Editor Decision section of the page.
Steps in this guide
- Monitor for and assess revisions submitted by the author
- If necessary, initiate a subsequent round of peer review
1. Monitor for and assess revisions submitted by the author
After an editorial decision has been recorded, and the author has been notified, the author will have an opportunity to upload revised files for your consideration.
Revised files provided by the author will appear in the file list toward the bottom of the Editor Decision section of the page. Select each file to download and view it.
Note: In practice, many authors have difficulty uploading revised files. In these cases, you may use the 'Upload new Editor Version' option to upload a revised manuscript on their behalf.
If a revision warrants an update to the Editor Decision, select a new decision next to 'Record New Decision' and select the Record Decision button. Then select the 'envelope' icon next to Notify Author to initiate another email to the submitter.
2. If necessary, initiate a subsequent round of peer review
- In order to initiate a fresh / new peer review round, you must first set the Editor Decision to 'Resubmit for Review.'
- Select the radio button next to the file you would like to use for the new peer review round. If the file has not yet been uploaded, use the 'Upload new Editor Version' option to add the revised file.
- Select the 'Resubmit' button.
- The page will refresh, and the file you selected for resubmission will now be set as the 'Review Version' at the top of the '2. Review' page.
- Reviewers that were assigned to the earlier peer review round will remain assigned in the Peer Review section, however their previous activity, comments and files will be cleared out. If you need to return to these earlier comments and files, select the 'View regrets cancels and previous rounds' link.
- You may also remove earlier reviewers from the new round by selecting the 'Clear reviewer' link. Doing so will only remove them from the current peer review round; it will not delete their activity from previous peer review rounds.
- Proceed with the peer review process as described in 'Assigning and inviting reviewers.'