Before you begin
- Ensure that every article you plan to publish has a publication-ready PDF uploaded to the yellow-highlighted Galley PDF line of the Layout section.
If any of your articles are missing a PDF, the issue will not publish properly.
- Also be sure that you have reviewed any supplemental file(s) associated with each manuscript, as well as the item's metadata.
Steps in this guide
- Create an issue
- Assign articles to the issue
- Re-order the table of contents
- Publish the issue
1. Create an issue
Note: This step may be skipped if the issue has already been created. Unsure? Check Manage All Submissions > Issues > Future Issues
- After logging in to the submission management system, select 'Manage All Submissions' and then select 'Create Issue' under the Issues heading.
- Enter values for the Volume, Issue and Year, and be sure to also select the check boxes next to Volume, Issue and Year.
- Optional: You may also provide an issue title, issue description, and cover image thumbnail on the Create Issue page.
- Select 'Save'
2. Assign articles to the issue
- Select the '[Journal] Home' link at the top of the page, then select Manage All Submissions, and then 'In Editing'.
- Select the title of the manuscript that you would like to add to this issue.
- Make sure you are on the 3. Editing page by selecting '3. Editing'
- Scroll to the 'Scheduling' section and select the desired issue. Be sure to select 'Record' to save your selection.
- It is not necessary to complete the Published date fields in the Scheduling section, unless you are publishing an incremental issue and you wish each article to have its own publication date. Instead, each article in the issue will inherit the 'year' date you selected when you created the issue in step 1. above.
- Repeat the steps above until all desired manuscripts have been added to the issue.
3. Re-order the table of contents
- Once you have added the last article to your issue, select the 'Preview & Publish Issue' link in the Scheduling section to reach the Table of Contents preview for the issue.
- Alternately, you can also navigate to this screen by selecting Manage All Submissions > Issues > Future Issues, and choosing the issue you would like to manage.
- Use the small arrow icons next to each manuscript title to move the item up or down, as desired.
- Select the 'Save' button at the bottom of the page to save your arrangement.
- Note: If you encounter difficulty arranging items in the issue, select 'Reset to Defaults' and try the re-ordering process again.
- Note: If your issue contains Section Headings, those may also be re-ordered using the small arrow icons.
See the Manage Section Headings for more information.
4. Publish the issue
- Verify that all articles are present in the Table of Contents preview, and that they appear in the correct order.
- Ensure that the 'Has Galley' checkmark is present for every item in the issue.
- The 'Proofed and Approved by Author' indicator on this page may be ignored, as most editors conduct proofreading outside of the submission management system.
- Review and accept the Deposit Agreement, and select 'Publish Issue'
- Your new issue will appear on your journal's public eScholarship site within about an hour (though often within just a few minutes).